Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Decline of Texting?


Probably the most ironic thing about cellphone usage in the last 10 years is how little we actually use our phones, as phones. With many of us favoring text messages (SMS messaging) and emails over phone calls, Americans have begun to consider the phone function of their cellphones as secondary. (Are these the same people that don’t believe in voicemail?)

But now studies have shown that Americans are sending fewer texts, posing the question: What are we using are phones for?
                                                               
For the first time ever, the number of texts sent by U.S. mobile customers has dropped, according to a report published by Chetan Sharma, an independent mobile analyst and consultant. And though the drop is small—only 3 percent—experts are still considering this a significant tell of the future of mobile carriers and their texting plans.

This change is noteworthy because until recently, text messaging had been growing in the United States at a steady rate.

In his report, Sharma also noted that Internet-based messaging services, like Facebook messaging and Apple’s iMessage, have been wearing away at SMS usage and are one of the main causes of this drop. A more significant decline could become apparent as more people begin to own smartphones. About 50 percent of cellphone users already have smartphones.

Now, take a look at how many people use cellphones (and what for) to truly understand the impact of this shift in communication.

According to PEW Research Center Mobile Studies (September 2012):

·         Text messaging users send or receive an average of 41.5 messages on a typical day, with the median user sending or receiving 10 texts daily.

·         Young adults are the most avid texters by a wide margin. Cell owners between the ages of 18 and 24 exchange an average of 109.5 messages on a normal day — that works out to more than 3,200 texts per month — and the typical or median cell owner in this age group sends or receives 50 messages per day (or 1500 messages per month).

·         When asked how they prefer to be contacted if someone needs to reach them on their cell phone, a majority of cell owners (53%) say that they prefer a voice call, compared with 31% who say that they prefer to be contacted via text message.

This isn’t an uncommon trend, either. Around the world, text-message traffic has been shrinking because Internet-powered alternatives are becoming so widely used and often times, much more affordable, if not as simple as a free download.

Experts are saying, however that this is not going to have a major effect on mobile providers, as their data plans and internet fees make up for the loss in text messages.

Personally, I still prefer the old standby of SMS messaging, as do many people. Though I can see why the alternatives are growing, people still want their phone plans to be all-inclusive and on one plan, such as unlimited and shared data plans. But, times are changing, especially in the world of technology.

2 comments:

  1. I actually just read an article about this same thing. I truly can't believe the text messaging is going down, but with all of the other options that are out, I can believe it. I didn't really know there were other options such as iMessage. One thing I am not surprised by was that the age group that uses the most texts messages is young adults. I feel like we could be categorized as the texting generation. It is not surprising that so many text messages are sent each day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It may seem like a small amount, but 3% is a lot when you considered how many texts are sent as a whole. Cell companies make an absolute fortune in data plans, so I don't think they are too worried about this. In fact, they most likely predicted it and planned accordingly.

    I use text messaging, because I find it too tedious to go on Facebook and other sites from my phone. I also use my phone for making and receiving calls.

    ReplyDelete